Daytime Care

ASEB Participant and Staff

ASEB (Alzheimer’s Services of the East Bay) operates three state-licensed Adult Day Health Care (ADHC) programs at centers in Berkeley, Hayward, and our newest center in Fremont.

ADHC is an alternative to full time care and allows loved ones to remain at home and in the community. ADHC is inexpensive, and it can prevent premature/inappropriate institutionalization and caregiver burnout.

ASEB Adult Day programs have been recognized by the respected Robert Wood Johnson Foundation as a model for its nationwide Partners in Caregiving Demonstration Project.

Adult Day Health Care Goals

We have two primary goals, both of which support our commitment to promote home-based care and to prevent inappropriate institutionalization:

  • To provide health care, therapies, social opportunity, stimulation, and a secure environment to people with Alzheimer’s disease or related conditions.
  • To provide caregivers with ongoing respite, support, and education in order to sustain a high quality of life for both themselves and the person they care for.

To Begin the Process

Please contact one of our social workers:

  • in Berkeley (510) 644-8292
  • in Hayward (510) 888-1411
  • in Fremont (510) 656-1329

Alternatively, a caregiver, family member, physician, employer, or health care professional may fill out an Adult Day Health Care referral for and mail or fax it to the center you might be interested in attending. Both addresses and fax numbers are listed on the contact page.

Arrange a Center Visit

The social worker will arrange a time when the caregiver and the person needing specialized care can visit the program. This visit gives a potential day program participant an opportunity to join in activities with other persons in the program and to get a feel for it. The social worker will meet with the caregiver to obtain general information and learn about their loved one’s special needs and interests. A medical release form will also need to be completed so that ASEB can then request records from the potential participant’s physician. It’s helpful to bring along the doctor’s address & phone.

Doctor’s Report

ASEB asks the physician for information about the potential participant’s health, medical history, and medications he or she takes. The physician must also give ASEB permission to perform Occupational and Physical Therapy assessments and a Speech Therapy evaluation for any eating/swallowing concerns.

Home Visit

Once the physician’s report is received, the Social Worker will schedule a home visit to obtain in-depth information about the potential participant’s history, behavior and care needs. If the person seems appropriate for the program, and she or he, and the caregiver are interested, the Social Worker will schedule three assessment days at the center.

3-Day Center Assessment

During these 3 days, the potential participant will be assessed by the Nurse, Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist, Activity Coordinator and may be assessed by the Speech Therapist. The individual will then be discussed in a team meeting involving the above staff, Social Worker and the Program Director. During this meeting, this multi-disciplinary team will decide if the potential participant’s needs can be met in the program.

Plan of Care

If the team determines that the potential participant’s needs cannot be met, and she or he is denied admission, the Social Worker will work with the caregiver to find alternatives to the day program. If the individual is accepted, an individual plan of care is developed with a program for nursing, personal care, social work, activities, and occupational and physical therapy.

Reassessment, Review, Reporting

The participant will be reassessed every 3 months and discussed at subsequent multi-disciplinary team meetings. Every 6 months, the participant’s plan of care will be reviewed, changes noted and the care plan rewritten accordingly. The participant’s physician will be updated quarterly on the participant’s status and will be immediately informed of any changes in condition.

Period of Adjustment

Please accept that the first few weeks will be a period of adjustment for both the participant and caregiver. ASEB staff will communicate often and in detail with the caregiver about how their loved one is doing in the program, and we encourage caregivers to call with any questions or concerns.


  • Individual Assessment
  • Home Visit
  • Individual Care Plans
  • Social Work Assistance
  • Curb-to-Curb Transportation
  • 9:00 AM–4:00 PM, Monday–Friday
  • Meals: Breakfast, Lunch & Snack
  • Stimulating & Rewarding Activities including: Field Trips | Music Program | Reminiscence Groups | Gardening | Cooking | Exercise | Art Program (our claim to fame!)
  • Therapy Program: Physical Therapy | Occupational Therapy | Speech Therapy Consultation
  • Dietary Consultation
  • Medical Monitoring
  • Nursing Care
  • Medication Administration

Contact ASEB Adult Day Program Social Workers

  • Berkeley (510) 644-8292
  • Hayward (510) 869-1411
  • Fremont (510) 656-1329

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
  2.  fax: (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.